Saturday, August 22, 2015

Fibreshed and random thoughts

Lately I have this thought in my head.  It's not completely formed up yet, but it's getting there.

A video about fibresheds (fibersheds for those in the USA)



A fibreshed is like a water shed or foodshed, but about clothing.  It's the bioregional area around us where we can source the raw materials needed to cloth ourselves.  An amazing thought.

In the video she uses a lot of cotton, which does not grow in my area.  But flax does and it's awesome.  I've been learning a lot about flax through the local flax to linen group.  Warmth from wool, llama and alpaca.  Cool clothing from linen.

I wonder lately why my opinions of hand made clothing is so crewed.  I imagine ugly blocky garments from bulky yarns.  But why?  It doesn't have to be that way.


This idea is about beautiful clothing of classic design, that can be produce by local artisans using local materials.  Like people use to in the past.  Maybe not a whole wardrobe, but a substantial amount of it.

I want people to see that hand made textiles can be luxury as well as artful.  I don't know how to put it yet.


To help make space and fund my sheep's voracious appetite, I've re-opened my etsy store.  This time I want to focus on the more luxurious items.  Fibre, yarn and cloth, all made as much as possible from locally sourced materials.


No comments: