Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Tour de Fleece 2012: stage 2 and 3

(sorry all, don't know what's wrong with the formatting today)

Yesterday, Stage 2 of the Tour de Fleece, was for me what they call, off the back. Didn't do quite so well as I had planed. But I did manage a small sample skein of novelty yarn. A small skein of yarn is still a skein, right? So I'm still on target with my goals.






30 yds of wavy rick-rack yarn. I spun up some dark chocolate brown mystery fibre in a regular slub (think and thin) pattern and plied it with a lovely orange Habu merino cobweb lace. I think the brown fibre is alpaca with perhaps 20% wool, but I can't be certain.






This makes quit a stunning effect, and I think I might make some more of this yarn later on. But what do you think? Any good?




















Today, Stage 3 was a much better day for spinning. I didn't get up early enough to watch the whole race (4am is difficult at times) so I hope to watch the repeat this evening and spin some more then.






Today's spinning is 75yds of soft alpaca 2 ply worsted weight yarn from Herman's fibre. I can't get over how nice the drape of this yarn is. Even though I spun worsted style (for a denser, smoother yarn) it's no where near as heavy as alpaca usually is when done this way.






As you can see from the photos, these two yarns are already good friends. They somehow make me feel like they should be used together for something, but what, I don't know.























By the way: Special Tour de France discount at my etsy shop. Type TDF2012 at checkout for 15% off fibre, yarn, well, actually everything.

No comments: