Monday, June 28, 2010

Silk warp


I have it in my head to make some entries to show at the local fall fair. I have some yarns that I am particularly proud of that I think have a good chance of winning a ribbon. But I want to enter more than just yarn this year. I want to press myself to see what I can accomplish.

Yesterday, I dug out what is left of my Bombyx silk, just under ten (10) grams, and spun up some yarn. I want it to be thin because the cotton I plan to use for the weft spins up very thinly. Once plied the silk measured 160m. That is ten grams for 160 meters. That's very thin. I'm extremely proud of my yarn.

It's strong, it's soft, it's balanced without needing to be blocked, it has gorgeous hand. It's going to be wonderful warp.


Today's task is to finishing fixing up the loom. Yesterday dad removed the rust from the reed and today I plan to coat some thread with beeswax and floss any remaining roughness from the reed. I don't have any more silk to spin up, so I'm going to do everything I can to keep it pristine. I'll probably floss the reed a second time, this time without beeswax to polish it up. Then I need to check over the heddles and I'll be ready to weave. Well, once I have the weft spun that is.

This is going to be a splendid project to enter into the fair.

1 comment:

Josiane said...

This yarn does indeed look fabulous! I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished project.