Saturday, January 30, 2010

Drat that hat.


Well, it looks like I have some frogging to do.

I have this yarn I bought many years ago. It's rather expensive, and rather luxurious. It's call Cashmere Canapa and it contains 60% cotton, 30% cashmere, and 10% hemp. I've kept it locked up in a special box, separate from all the other yarn, waiting for that special project.

I finally decided that the special project would be B from Three Tams.

I tell you it looks lovely. Have a look for yourself.

See? LOVELY!

What a great pattern.

I adore how the colours contrast but are muted enough to produce a traditional feel to the fabric. The drape of the fabric is perfect at this gage... only, well it's the wrong gage. The pattern calls for 5sts/1in and I have 7sts/1in. Do you know what that means? (adapt the whimpery Kryten voice from series seven) It's too small!

I'm almost finished knitting the dratted thing so I considered finishing it up and turning it into a bag that I would never use. Bad idea. So then I thought about just frogging the whole thing and putting the yarn aside for another few years until something better comes along. No. I don't like that idea either. I've started working with this yarn and darn it, I want to finish.

I could get bigger needles and re knit it. But then the texture/hand/drape of the fabric would be all wrong.

I don't have the brain to do math right now, so I was thinking frog it and try knitting it with one extra pattern repeat. That might do it. Only... I don't want to be the one to frog it. I need some courage, a glass of wine (don't tell my doctors) and a good movie; but in the mean time, I think I'm going to go play with my spinning wheel. At least that doesn't complain about gage. It complains about y.p.p but that's an issue for another day.

1 comment:

Josiane said...

You're right, it's a lovely hat! It will be even better as a hat you can use. :)
Good luck with the frogging and reknitting. It's worth it! In the meantime... enjoy the spinning!